Monday, June 25, 2012

Lions, Tigers and Bears...Oh My!.

Everyone is worried here in the town of Dedham.  I guess a six foot, black bear has been spotted at the Legacy Place Shopping Center.  Who can blame the poor bear. There are so many great restaurants over there. The smell of yummy food from outdoor, summer diners permeates the air.  I already received an automated message from the local police department, "not to worry, and avoid contact with the bear." I feel so much safer now.

Bears are rarely in Massachusetts never mind my home town.  We have plenty of deer and coyotes and of course turkeys.  The strange thing is, when I was a child, we never had any of these creatures. Raccoon and skunks were the norm. I have to wonder why the population boom?

 The black capped chickadee was the official state bird until a few years ago when they changed it into the noble Turkey. I read somewhere that it was because the pilgrims had the first Thanksgiving in Plimoth, historical spelling, now Plymouth MA. That was of course because they ate turkeys there. I wonder if perhaps these birds were introduced back into the Eco system and then given the state bird title because the MA Chamber of Commerce thought it would be a bigger draw to Beantown. I don't know. Chickadees are pretty cute but you can't eat them a day later cold on bread with mayo, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Day after Thanksgiving, turkey sandwiches are totally delicious. I am inspired to buy some home-style, deli turkey breast, with some instant stuffing on some yummy potato bread with canned cranberry sauce. (the cranberry sauce needs to be berry-less and of course can shaped.) This seems like a great idea without all the pots and pans.


I hope they drive that black bear up north where he belongs.  I have a ton of picnicking planned and I don't want any trouble. Have a beary nice day!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment