Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Aloha Friends!

  
 I had planned to search for vintage record albums this past weekend.  I knew about a few hot spots down near Cape Cod that I wanted to check out. I purchased a bunch of really fun records but I won't reveal them all right now.
I love theme parties and I thought this Hawaii record was just the perfect back drop for a small summer time luau lunch with my girl friends. I felt like I was actually sitting on the beach with a coconut drink, holding a tiny umbrella and a bendy straw. The music really made the soiree.


 Sushi is from Japan but who could resist these yummy spicy California rolls. I guess my little party had sort of an Asian Pacific vibe. I did not go with traditional authentic fare. I mean, Spam is very popular in Hawaii but I just couldn't bring myself to go there. Not today, anyway.
 I also did not serve poi, or that traditional purple bread called taro. I decided on  making a roaster with soy sauce, cherries and a clover honey glaze.  I also made a fruit ambrosia with marshmallows as well as some custard rice pudding with nutmeg.
 I served a cold salad.  It was actually a Cobb salad  (nothing Hawaiian about that) but I did not photograph it because it did not fit the theme, it was still yummy, regardless. I served mini corn breads with butter instead of taro and I bought these adorable butterfly cookies dipped in chocolate. I served them with rainbow sherbet for dessert with fresh cut fruits.  It was all so incredibly good. I plan on doing a real full blown luau one of these day but I got my small Hawaii fix out of my system for now. Most importantly, I got to play my new vintage record.

No comments:

Post a Comment