Monday, October 15, 2012

Richard Scarry not scary!

 I love Richard Scarry!!! This well loved author/ illustrator was born right here in Boston.  He was a business school drop out who decided to do things his own way after the war. He was a veteran as well. He had a real love for details. He put so much detail into every little picture. His books entertained me for hours as a child.  There was always something I didn't notice before. He got his big break with Busy Town through another love of mine, Golden Books and the rest was history.  I swear, even today, if I flip through one of his books, I can't help but smile.
 Top picture is from his book on color. Red and yellow makes jack-o-lantern.

 Page about the changes in the seasons.
This one is a bit tattered but is all about the months. Love the rocket cat.
Above, I have posted another love of mine, the Junior Deluxe Editions. These books are still very much sought after today. They are from the late fifties and early sixties.  They were much like the Readers Digest Hard Cover Library, but for children. The illustrations are so whimsical. Lots of faeries, brownies and beautiful black and white prints of children in Victorian clothing. I will be hanging onto these classics.
This talk of books is making me hungry for a little comfort food. Nothing fancy. Take some cubed, turkey ham and a chopped onion and fry it with a little olive oil.
Mix in a four eggs and a quarter cup of milk that has been mixed. Stir it around until cooked, be careful to not let the eggs get too dry.
 Throw it all on a toasted roll with some sliced cheese. I like sliced, sandwich, Muenster cheese because the hot eggs melt it, so it is nice and gooey. I love gooey, not sticky or runny, just gooey. Yep, Western Sandwiches are the perfect, easy, brunchy comfort food. Sorry, the picture is blurry because I was too impatient to let the camera focus. I was really hungry. Have a good day!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment