Sunday, July 15, 2012

Nyan Cat....Weird????

I had to make a  birthday cake for my seventeen year old son.  I wanted to do something that would really make him smile. Like many teenagers, he likes  the Anime/Japanese comic book subculture and video games. I thought the perfect thing to make was a cake of the musical meme called Nyan Cat. It is a little cartoon of a cat with a pop tart body meowing a happy tune. Confused??? Yeah, so was I  but I decided to make the cake regardless. I used pre-colored fondant because it was quick and less messy. I hollowed out the first layer of yellow cake and filled it with rocky road ice cream...of course.
 Then I put on some chocolate frosting and another later of chocolate cake. Then threw it in the freezer to harden up.
 Finally, I frosted and decorated it . It came out really cute. Going with Japanese theme I made assorted candy sushi with cereal and marshmallow for the first batch.  You can use prepackaged rice crispy treats and fruit roll ups and candy, I used sour strip candies in this picture but had to stick it with frosting. The fruit roll ups were so much easier to use because they can bend and stick. As for the birthday dinner, I am just going to order pizzas, and make an antipasto salad. Most teens aren't fans of  sushi or tempura, at least not my boys.

 I got some lemon filled, lemon cup cakes as well as black forest cupcakes with vanilla frosting. I bought these, I couldn't resist. Isn't that a cute train candle holder? It is very old and there is a little circus animal in each one. I was so happy to find this one intact. I have seen others but they are usually missing the caboose.
 I am also, breaking out this adorable vintage birthday table cloth. It is a reprint of the paper ones they used to sell at party stores when I was a child. I remember getting the same table cloth in paper with sweet little paper baskets which we filled with M and M's. I am putting a clear plastic cover over it because I don't want ice cream stains. It was a gift from Chick. She has such great taste.
 I love to use these for kids birthday parties. These are one of my prized possessions...really. It is a collection of Flinstones cartoon glasses with cute little scenes and phrases. Who doesn't love little Pebbles and Bam Bam? The great thing about these glasses is, they used to be jelly jars. What a great promotion not to mention a super incentive to eat peanut butter and jelly every day. I am pretty sure they are from the sixties but it might be earlier. How about these fun, bendy straws. I love the colors not to mention the throw back cover art, I had to buy a couple of packs. I am thinking of root beer floats.
 Finally, here is the very catchy, very strange but cute Nyan Cat video..............now you can be hip too. Don't blame me if it gets stuck in your head.


No comments:

Post a Comment