Monday, October 8, 2012

Sort of out and about.


Hi there! I am really enjoying this beautiful New England Fall.  This weekend would have been a perfect time to pick apples. However, I was reminded about last years fiasco. I spent several hours at a local orchard with the kids.  There were long waits between the little train rides to take us to the designated picking areas. The available picking location we were dropped at, was basically picked clean of apples. There were plenty of cores on the ground, which attracted tons of bees. The kids were crying because they only had hard, sour granny smith type apples to choose from. The train did finally come around and brought us to the barn. There was no getting out of it, you had to walk through there to pay for the apples. I could see the baked goods as we entered and knew I was going to be in trouble. First, I ended up buying the Mackintosh apples. To me, they are the most versatile apple because you can eat them plain or cook with them. However, then the kids saw the cookies and candy.Five chocolate chip cookies cost eight dollars. Crazy, it was not like they were organic or even made at the farm.  I settled on buying some M&Ms. The whole thing cost about seventy bucks. I realized, in reality,I paid the farm, to force my children to do slave labor with dangerous bees in the hot sun.  This year, I will buy a big bag of M&Ms and go hang out a a park and look at the foliage. I will let you know how it goes.


 Being the hypocrite I am, I did stop at a farm stand because I needed to get some seasonal decorations. I came across cake pops. They  tasted as if they needed about ten more minutes in the oven. A little doughy. I am going to make my own with this mold set that I bought. If they come out pretty I will post them. I will let you in on a secret. I plan to use brownie batter with chocolate chips. Why play games with drippy cake batter? I even thought of baking the brownies in a pan and rolling them into balls without using the silly molds. Maybe I am missing the point.
Indian corn.......reminds me of being a little kid and having the squirrels eat it off the front door of our home.  I am wondering if I popped it in oil, could I eat it?  I think it is only ornamental. Something to look into.

My friend Heather always has the prettiest Fall displays for her home. This is just a little corner of her porch. I love the white pumpkin.



On a different note, I went to an English sports car show on Sunday. It was a nice day and I saw the crowds and decided to pop in.  Wow! The vintage English motor cars were adorable and cool. I didn't realize how much I needed one until I started snooping around.
This old beauty had a nice display in front. The cute English Teddy Bears having their tea and biscuits. Several of the cars had a special rack on the back for a picnic hamper.  I could imagine enjoying a romantic lunch on the English countryside with James Bond or better yet, Doctor Who.
This little white one would be perfect for a day at the beach.


 Sporty stuff. I kept looking under the hood with the other car enthusiasts. I wondered to myself if they knew what they were looking at. Maybe they saw the crowd and dropped in like I did.
 This car below reminded me of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  The flying car from the classic Disney movie starring Dick Van Dyke. You can see some guys hand in the picture.  He is telling me something technical about the car...I wish I knew what he was talking about.

2 comments:

  1. Little train rides to designated picking areas? Where the heck did you go, an orchard or a theme park? Anytime I've gone picking, it's been to a small farm and I end up paying less than I would for an equivalent amount at the grocery store, which seems reasonable since I'm doing the harvesting.

    I completely don't understand cake pops, but it'll be interesting to hear how your brownie ones turn out. Also, ,cool cars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to Lookout farm in Natick, MA. It is a lovely farm but you end up paying fifty dollars for twenty apples.....you do the math. You can buy an already made apple pie at the supermarket for four dollars. Concerning cake pops. I plan to do little pumpkins. I think the whole cake pop thing is cute but I personally would need to eat at least three. If you served them at a kids birthday party you would really need to make a ton. Give my a nice heavy slab of poundcake with a thick butter cream frosting. :) Thanks Diane!

    ReplyDelete