Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Kandee shares some Christmas magic!

I am so excited for this Holiday Season!!!!!!!  I have so much to share but so little time. I posted this mediocre Holiday video by Kandee because I love her passion and enthusiasm.  People like her really cheer me up and motivate me to get my act together.

 I have gone to several little Christmas fairs at churches over the past couple weeks. What a fun way to raise money. There is usually a baked goods table, some tables for hand made items, a white elephant, a cafeteria lunch and a photo opportunity with Santa.

 Lately,  I am seeing these little Bazaars get smaller and smaller, and even cancelled.  I have also noticed, that there aren't as many home made items.  Cute little must haves, like Life Saver doll ornaments (these were little yarn dolls that had a Life Saver candy body) and candy cane Rudolphs, with a red pom pom nose, just don't seem to matter anymore.

Most of the people running these events are older ladies in their eighties, and they do a heck of a job, God Bless 'em.  Unfortunately, most  people just don't have time to volunteer because everyone is so busy with kids activities or working. These events were community building high lights.  When I was younger, my friends and I were so excited to buy little presents for our parents for a dollar. It is a shame these fairs are slowly, going the way of " Ladies who Lunch".

 However, I do admit that our standards have changed so much since the seventies, when I was a child.  I remember, we were always collecting toilet paper tubes for girl scouts or school.  W would later decorate them and fill them with candy. Then, we would add insult to injury by charging people fifty cents to hang them on their Christmas tree. I even remember making a little toilet paper roll Nativity Set........This was  so wrong on so many levels.  When I think back on it, the whole concept was really quite unsanitary.

Anyway,  I will try to bring some Holiday cheer your way.  I have one tradition that is always enjoyable for nobody but myself,  because I only have sons.  I bring out my Holiday Barbies!!!!!  I have a huge Barbie collection, of both vintage and new.  I also have the complete set of Barbie Hallmark Ornaments. The Holiday Barbies don't dress like trampy whores and several gowns were actually designed by Bob Mackie himself. They are all so beautiful and hold a special place in my heart because everyone of them are from my father. I am forty four...gasp, years old and my Dad says it is not Christmas if there isn't a Barbie under the tree for me. Gotta love that.

I hope for the rest of the month to share a little something fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment