Friday, December 14, 2012

Frosty, the All-Inclusive, Winter, Holiday Special

I just love this!!! It is the original Frosty the snowman.  However, this classic bubbly rendition was replaced by a much less cheery cartoon when I was a child.  The whole premise of this newer cartoon was about how a lovable snowman  had a run in with the law, broke into a florist and then started to melt. He ultimately realizes he needs to leave town.  He has a gang of kids who support him and who are brokenhearted by his departure. The song ensures us ,"He'll be back again someday.........." Whatever that means. It always made me sad as a child.  In all the other Christmas Specials, Santa arrives in the nick of time, (St. Nick to be precise) to "save Christmas", but not this time.

Then I realize, that my pal Frosty has just as much to do with Christmas as he does with Hanukkah . He talks just like my Jewish friend Marty, who owns the dry cleaner, originally from New Jersey. On that note, "The Map", from Dora the Explorer, might be from "Jersey" as well.

 Anyway,  Frosty's catch phrase, "Happy BoYYYthday" should be followed up with a" Oy vey, where am I? Or, he should say to the little girl, "Could you be a "mench" ( Yiddish for a good, decent person) and help me hide from that "mashugena" (crazy) cop."  They should all play a game of dreidle and go out on a high note. The point is, this cartoon, that has always been coined a Christmas Holiday Special has very little to do with Christmas or any Holiday for that matter.

In reality, the 1969 cartoon should be promoted as a slice of seasonal fun, and the joys as well as the trouble of snow.

I hope you will be back again someday, Frosty Snowmann, from Long Island , New Jersey.





No comments:

Post a Comment