Friday, February 7, 2014

Valentines Day almost here!

 It was very cold here in Boston this morning but the sun was out and the birds were chirping. There is a belief that many of the winter birds pick their mates mid February around St. Valentines Day. The birds are making such a commotion out there I would not be surprised. I have a really optimistic feeling that spring will be here in no time. However, the foot of freshly fallen snow tells another story.
 With the season comes sentiments of love. Boxes of chocolates, cookies, cupcakes and of course conversation hearts....which are manufactured right here in Massachusetts. They are made at the Necco factory. The company name might have changed. Necco wafers, Smarties and Marshmallow Peeps all made their debut here in beantown. However, to me , they are the "hot dogs" of the candy world. I appreciate them for nostalgic novelty reasons and not necessarily for taste. They have come to be a Valentines Day staple. Little cinnamon hearts were once a staple as well but I haven't seen them sold in little kid sized boxes for Valentines Day for years. I think peoples tastes just change. I know horehound or clove candies and Good and Plenty licorice bits could be put in the "old fashioned favorites that noone really likes" category.
 These beautiful roses are from Chick!!! We had a business meeting and she came bearing gifts. Thanks Chick, these preppy pink and green roses really classed up the joint. You may also see the very large heart shaped candy box. I drag it out every year. My husband game it to me when we were dating. It had five pounds of Fanny Farmer Chocolates. It was amazing. I asked him why he doesn't shower me with gifts anymore..he said, "I already got you, so why waste the money." Those are the words of a real Romeo, really warmed my heart.
 Here is a very cute little mechanical doll from the 1940's. She is actually a roller skating doll but she doesn't work anymore. I just love her cute expression!
 A view from my window. It is really a lovely winter wonderland out there. I'm not up for shovelling though. I am suppose to have guests over tonight so that requires digging out a parking spot as well. I will wait and see if the sun melts it a little. I don't want to over exert myself unnecessarily.
 There are beautiful but deadly, heavy icicles hanging off windows and roofs in the neighborhood...another reason to not shovel.
 No one does Valentines like the eighties. Here is one of my vintage paper cut outs. There are a lot of bears with lace collars and patchwork pillows. Disgustingly sweet stuff.
 Wrapping up this rant with a picture of some comfort food for my sons and their friends. Nothing satisfies a bunch of teenagers like superbowl fare. Last night we had a after sports event, full house.  Chili and sausage subs with red sauce and provolone cheese was just the thing on a cold night, everyone left  full and satisfied. I always forget that I love this time of year. Keeping away the cold winter blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment