Thursday, August 16, 2012

Lunch Box Love

 Yesterday, was a scorcher...actually,  it was just sticky and muggy. We took a walk to the park but stopped into the little corner store to get slush. Such a simple recipe, ice and flavoring but it really does the trick on a hot day.  However, I prefer to eat it with a little wooden spoon rather than the the straw/spoon. Just thought I would give a shout out to Richie and his (so much cheaper than ice cream not to mention less fattening), Italian Ice.
 Fall is just around the corner and I decided to share some neat back to school items. My husband has a huge lunch box collection from the seventies and eighties. I picked out a couple that I thought were the best. Who didn't love the Partridge Family? Actually, I preferred the Brady Bunch. It was more entertaining for kids.
 Then of course we have KISS. They were amazing. The face make up was a stroke of genius. Just think of it, with the dubbing technology most performers use in concert these days, band members wouldn't need to show up. They could have body doubles. Really who would know. My hubby saw them a couple years ago and said they looked great.  One must admit, most folks gets a little bummed when they see their idols aging. It is a reminder that we are aging as well. Everyone should have the option to wear clown make up.
                                       I actually used this Bee Gees one in high school as a joke...sort of.  Made me want to throw an old banana in there and leave it in the car over night or longer. I can still smell that stale lunch box smell after neglecting to clean it out after a week of school vacation. Little kids(as well as teens) and perishable foods is a bad combo. I think this is the main reason you rarely find the thermos in vintage lunch boxes. I think they just became too moldy to salvage and it was easier to bring a dime for chocolate milk from the cafeteria.
 Awwwww, retro Candy Land. This one is so sweet. What a bummer it would be to find a squished tuna sandwich and an apple. It should be filled with jelly beans and candy canes.
This little green lunch box is a little fisher price toy, I believe from the late fifties. It was amazing to find it with the little thermos inside. Then finally, we have the classic plaid thermos. I wish we had the plaid lunch box that went with it.  People have really improved upon the school lunch concept. I imagine paper sacks sales are way down. They have so many creative solutions with insulated bags  to adorable Bento Boxes.  Hopefully, it will encourage American kids to develop better eating habits for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment